GeoShred + NS2

GeoShred is now AUv3. The good news is that it does work in NS2. But as with Model15, it exposes a secondary note interface (in this case, the super expressive strings-in-4ths layout, which is highly customizable). As with M15, in NS2, MIDI is not recorded from that interface; it is only recorded from the normal keys. In this case, you miss out on that pitch bending and expressiveness and the sound you get from the keys is not the same as what you get from the “normal” GeoShred UI, I suppose this is because the GeoShred’s UI generates a bunch of additional CC information. This is just more of a FYI post since this MIDI recording issue from AUv3 in NS2 is already known, but here it seriously limits the expression of that instrument as the pitch whammy and bending are integral to its output. I’m just glad they implemented AUv3 — now waiting on iVCS3 to do the same....

Comments

• AU instrument -> record midi data is on tasklist ;-) Not sure if also CC or just notes, to me makes sense to include CC, just to be sure i will mention it to Matt ...

• +1 This would be nice. It is still useful, I think, to have GeoShred as an AUv3 in NS2 for auditioning it’s presets and developing the basic melody idea. I then record GeoShred into AudioShare for an audio take, but an accurate MIDI file of that same take would be super useful, as well as the convenience of being able to stay ‘in-app’. The extra step is not too difficult though since AudioShare is implemented really well in NS2.

• Is the lack of super expressiveness due to lack of MPE or is there another reason?

• edited January 2019

@T4H said:
    Is the lack of super expressiveness due to lack of MPE or is there another reason?

It’s not MPE, but It is a bunch of MIDI CC that spews from the interface (MIDIWrench shows 4 different CCs in addition to pitch bend on the simple patch I tested). Playing the NS2 keys produces a much different (dead-ish) timbre compared to the GS guitar-string UI. The bending and vibrato from that interface is fabulous and really intuitive if you’ve played guitar.

• For now, can you run Geoshred stand alone and then point the MIDI at NS? It will capture external MIDI. Not sure if Geoshread publishes a virtual port (NS doesn't). If not, you'd need to use something like MIDIFlow or the latest AB3 (that might still be in beta, not sure). You might be able to point that recorded MIDI back at Geoshred (hosted internally for the sounds). Sorry, I don't own it so that's 100% speculation. :)

@toneman said:

It’s not MPE, but It is a bunch of MIDI CC that spews from the interface (MIDIWrench shows 4 different CCs in addition to pitch bend on the simple patch I tested). Playing the NS2 keys produces a much different (dead-ish) timbre compared to the GS guitar-string UI. The bending and vibrato from that interface is fabulous and really intuitive if you’ve played guitar.

For the sounds, if you're trying to use Obsidian, that's going to be a tough one. The Geoshred folks have obviously spent a lot of time mapping all of those playing interface bits to the sound engine. Still, you could assign macros to the parts of Obsidian you want to control expressively and then set those macros to the CCs MIDI Wrench is showing (via the mixer -> setup page).

Based on Geoshred stuff I've heard, I doubt it's all simple 1:1 relationships unfortunately. Instead, you'll probably want to gang controls, paying attention to the amounts. So maybe the "X" Geoshred CC will go to Obsidian Macro 1 and Macro 1 will control Filter Cutoff at 100%, LFO2 Depth at 20% and Reverb Mix at 40%. Creating this sort of stuff can be really fun but always makes me appreciate just how much work goes into making this sort of stuff 'playable' and sounding great!

• Circling back on this. It seems to have gotten worse. Currently, the AUv3 GUI is chopped off:

When trying to access the GUI w/o NS2 keys, I get the spinning wheel forever:

It should all look like this:

I’ve been away from NS2 for a while, bogged down in other works stuff, so apologies if this has already been answered - I did a search prior to posting.

Thanks
    TM

• edited December 2019

The “Loading editor ...” stall seems to have started to appear with iOS 13. It happens at various times to various AUs, and isn’t specific to GeoShred.

It’s not always reproducible, so may be one of those bugs that takes longer to sort out than others. It may also be a bug with the AU apps themselves, and not a NS2 specific bug (though I haven’t seen it in other hosts, so I’m guessing it’s NS2).

• edited December 2019

Thanks. Interesting - I just updated to iOS13 (the iPad made me do it). About 10 days ago, prior to the upgrade, I was on a long cross-country flight and pulled out NS2 and GeoShred to see if things had changed from a year ago. I that case, the GeoShred GUI was shrunken by 200% into a tiny rectangle that was un-usable. I don’t blame NS2 — AUv3 is still not a solidified spec (IMO, and I’ve been doing this a long time). But on the other hand, BM3 gets it right. In both Apps, you still can’t play the GeoShred UI (which is understandable because many synth plugins have a built-in keyboard that doesn’t transmit MIDI to the host).