Recent problems with restoring IAPs and how to solve

Hi all

It's been - a while. I can't believe I've been doing a 'proper' full-time job for two years now! I check in occasionally to make sure nothing's gone wrong but I no longer have the time to actively work on NS2, something I'm sure you don't need to be Sherlock to deduce.

Recently I've had a few messages about IAP failing to restore, which sounds frustrating. I've tried to replicate the problem but haven't had any success. All IAP (including the content) is hosted on Apple's servers, so although I can rule out problems with self-hosted content, it does make the problem more difficult to diagnose. It's similar to a problem which occurred some time ago: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/discussion/comment/12151

A Ray of Hope

It turns out that an enterprising member on the AB forums has found a solution (thank you ahallam). There's a slight 'but' coming ... you will need to:

1. Back up all your files (there are multiple choices here - continue reading below)
  2. Delete NS2 (ie. the app) and re-download it from the App Store (alternatively, you could try 'Offloading' the app)
  3. Restore NS2's files/documents
  4. 'Purchase' (download for free) each IAP ONE-BY-ONE!!! Don't use 'Restore Purchases' or you'll most likely be back where you started (sad face)

The rest of this message is about back-up options. Feel free to tell me if any of this has helped or hindered. If I can find the most streamlined process then I'll message users who've contacted with the least painful fix.

Matt

Backup Options

It's obviously important that you keep all your documents/data (by this I mean projects, patches, samples etc.)

WebDAV

If you're uber-Leet and you want total control over your files, you can use NS2's built in WebDAV server to transfer everything over to your desktop computer and copy it back afterwards: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Settings.html#webdav

Using iCloud Backup

You can also use iCloud to back up your device, which includes app data:

Open Settings:

1. Go to the Settings app on your iOS device.
  2. Tap on your name at the top to open Apple ID settings.
  3. Tap on iCloud Backup Backup and make sure it’s turned on.
  4. Tap on 'Back Up Now' to perform an immediate backup to iCloud. Your app data is backed up and can be restored when you reinstall the app or set up a new device.

Using the Files App

1. Open the Files App
  2. Look for NS2’s folder under On My iPhone/iPad or iCloud Drive.
  3. Copy its contents to another location. To do this, tap and hold the file or folder you want to back up, then select Copy.
  4. Paste. Navigate to the desired backup location, such as iCloud Drive or any other folder accessible in the Files app. Tap and hold the empty space, then select Paste.

Offload App

This may or may be enough to get IAPs downloading again, I'm not sure. Here's what GPT has to say:

On iOS, you can delete an app while keeping its data by offloading it. Offloading an app removes the app itself from your device but retains its documents and data. When you reinstall the app in the future, your data will still be there. Here’s how you can do it:

1. Go to the Settings app on your iOS device.
  2. Scroll down and tap on General.
  3. Tap on iPhone Storage.
  4. Scroll through the list of apps and tap on NS2.
  5. Tap on Offload App. This will remove the app but keep its documents and data.
  6. Confirm by tapping Offload App again.

When you want to reinstall, follow these steps:

1. Open the App Store on your iOS device.
  2. Search for NS2 and download it again.
  3. Tap on the app to reinstall it. The app will be downloaded, and your previous data will be available.

Your ever-loving/lying friend, GPT xxx

Comments

• edited August 16

Thanks Matt! Some good stuff in that post.
    Re-purchase (one at a time) instead of Restore. Got it.
    Hope the “proper job” is going well!

• Offloading didn’t work for me but backing up using the files app, deleting, reinstalling, and moving the files back worked like a charm. There was one thing I needed to do though to make user presets available. In obsidian I went to patch - manage and pressed refresh. My presets were back right away

• That Refresh on patches is good to do from time to time, especially after you get a few new AUv3 synths just to make sure all the presets are showing up.