Little trick for "timestretched" drumloop

edited January 2019 in General chat

Here little trick how to simulate timestretch using sample offset automation..

Of course it's not real timestretch, and it doesn't work much for melodic
loops, but for many use cases, particulary for drumloops, it works pretty well :)

Hope it helps to somebody

Here short text description if it is not 100% clear from video:

• create init patch
  • load loop into sample oscillator
  • set macro knob mapping to "Osc All -> Sample start"
  • in sequencer, create part with length exactly like loop lendth
  • in piano roll, put on C3 short 1/32 notes
  • go to automation editor, draw line from zero to max for knob which is mapped to sample start

now hit playback... try change project tempo - loop is still playing synced :-))
Timestretching without real timestretching :-)))

Comments

• Cool technique, kind of reminds me of some old school tracker type sequencer tricks!
    This can also be useful for aligning vocals to a faster beat than they were originally recorded for, like in mashups or remixes.
    I would imagine using the pitch transpose on that Obsidian oscillator while doing this might help for shifting the tempo within a range slower than the original sample too (though time stretch is usually more noticeable when going slower).
    A handy workaround for those who might normally use time stretch in other apps!
    Thanks @dendy

• Hey, that’s pretty clever man, thanks! Sure it could be a phenomenal feature for Obsidian to have a proper (transient and such) looper inside that I can’t even dream the modulation possibilities of, but probably this will make it more even complex and it’s already a behemoth for iOS standard.

• @Zupi said:
    Hey, that’s pretty clever man, thanks! Sure it could be a phenomenal feature for Obsidian to have a proper (transient and such) looper inside that I can’t even dream the modulation possibilities of, but probably this will make it more even complex and it’s already a behemoth for iOS standard.

I am actually more interested in the functiolity being in a slate type instrument since if you can have it trigger quantized and time stretch you basically have an Ableton style clip player.