Please post your App Store Reviews :)

Comments

• edited December 2018

@kleptolia said:
    The function of the file system puts it over BM3, immediately.

What are you referring to here more exactly? Genuinely curious.

• @kleptolia said:
    @SlapHappy I don’t take offense. I basically agree with what you said.
    Nanostudio 2 is a freak show of capability. Focusing on what it doesn’t have (yet!) is a waste of time.

The simplicity of operation and stability more than make up for any concerns that could be brought up.

The function of the file system puts it over BM3, immediately. I have nothing against BM3, but I just never found it as useable and intuitive as Nanostudio.

The only other iOS daw that is as stable and powerful as Nanostudio is Sunvox. But the UI is sometimes an obstacle for me. There is alsmost nothing Sunvox can’t do, but figuring out how to do it is the trick.

NS2 bridges all of the gaps I care about, even without audio tracks.

I'm glad it's not just me. I couldn't figure out SunVox to save my life. I just wanted to make music, but that app makes me feel like I need to be a coder to understand it.

• @blueveek I always found that Beatmaker files were stored in several places. It could be that I was doing it wrong, but I would find that Chopped samples and imported samples would end up in multiple places on my phone, taking up space rapidly. However, in a real head-scratching paradox, i could never find the file wanted when I was looking for it.

That is no doubt a user error situation, but it’s one I got tired of. Even with Korg Gadget, file import, export, and loading was much easier, I found. I didn’t have much problem with it.

Also, BM3 never felt as accessible and stable, even compared to Gadget, to say nothing of Nanostudio. I found that BM3 was extremely power hungry, only allowing for around 8-10 tracks on a 2015 iPad Air, when fx were running. It was slightly less battery-killing than Gadget, but not enough to elevate it over Gadget’s aesthetics and, most importantly, sound. I found BM3’s synth sounds to be a bit “bland”. I hate saying that, because I know that a lot of people worked very hard on it. Still, it’s honeslty how it struck me. Also, Gadget has a really interesting and active community driving it. That was also a plus.

BM3 has some truly great capabilities, some superior to Nanostudio 2 , even, but I never finished a track on it. And, in my case, I use the term “finish” loosely. My work is nowhere near as careful or polished as some of the other guys here. BM3 just didn’t work for me.

Out of curiosity, you ask a lot of feedback from people who prefer Nanostudio 2 to BM3. Are you affiliated with Intua? I’m not playing “gotcha.” I’m just playing the odds. Nothing wrong with market research, if that’s indeed the objective.

• @SlapHappy said:

@kleptolia said:
    Nanostudio 2 is a freak show of capability. Focusing on what it doesn’t have (yet!) is a waste of time.

The simplicity of operation and stability more than make up for any concerns that could be brought up.

The function of the file system puts it over BM3, immediately. I have nothing against BM3, but I just never found it as useable and intuitive as Nanostudio.

The only other iOS daw that is as stable and powerful as Nanostudio is Sunvox. But the UI is sometimes an obstacle for me. There is alsmost nothing Sunvox can’t do, but figuring out how to do it is the trick.

I'm glad it's not just me. I couldn't figure out SunVox to save my life. I just wanted to make music, but that app makes me feel like I need to be a coder to understand it.

I still have Sunvox on my phone, just out of sentiment and respect for the guy who coded it. Alexander Zolotov has coded some of the most interesting, efficient, and power friendly apps in the App Store. On the other hand, I sadly don’t know hexadecimal math, so getting effects to apply correctly could be challenging....🙃

• @kleptolia said:

@SlapHappy said:

@kleptolia said:

I still have Sunvox on my phone, just out of sentiment and respect for the guy who coded it. Alexander Zolotov has coded some of the most interesting, efficient, and power friendly apps in the App Store. On the other hand, I sadly don’t know hexadecimal math, so getting effects to apply correctly could be challenging....🙃

Is Sunvox the tracker app? I remember trying a deep tracker app that was reminiscent of Buzz tracker and realizing it didn’t make sense on a tablet, but I might try again now that I have a dedicated bt keyboard.

• @Stiksi said:

@kleptolia said:

@SlapHappy said:

@kleptolia said:

Is Sunvox the tracker app? I remember trying a deep tracker app that was reminiscent of Buzz tracker and realizing it didn’t make sense on a tablet, but I might try again now that I have a dedicated bt keyboard.

It is a tracker/sequencer. It’s somewhat reminiscent of Reaktor, by Native instruments. You have various modules that you can connect in whatever combination you want. You can then input notes into the sequencer, which really is remarkably flexible, but not very intuitive.

The app is basically the Russian version of Nanostudio. Incredibly full-featured and actually deeply intelligent, but gives you the feeling that “in Soviet Russia, Sunvox plays YOU.” It’s best to go in with a midi controller.

Nevertheless, I love that app. Still mess with it now and then, just to see what crazy synth or sample instrument I can make. It’s for people much smarter than I am.

• @Stiksi said:

@kleptolia said:

@SlapHappy said:

@kleptolia said:

I remember as a young lad, trying to make head or tail of Octamed on the Amiga, but then salvation arrived when I bought the Atari with Cubase.

Still got it :)

• edited December 2018

@kleptolia said:

@Stiksi said:

@kleptolia said:

@SlapHappy said:

@kleptolia said:

It is a tracker/sequencer. It’s somewhat reminiscent of Reaktor, by Native instruments. You have various modules that you can connect in whatever combination you want. You can then input notes into the sequencer, which really is remarkably flexible, but not very intuitive.

The app is basically the Russian version of Nanostudio. Incredibly full-featured and actually deeply intelligent, but gives you the feeling that “in Soviet Russia, Sunvox plays YOU.” It’s best to go in with a midi controller.

Nevertheless, I love that app. Still mess with it now and then, just to see what crazy synth or sample instrument I can make. It’s for people much smarter than I am.

Yeah, maybe I’ll give it a spin again when I have time!

• @kleptolia said:
    It’s for people much smarter than I am.

That’s how I always felt.

• @SlapHappy said:

@kleptolia said:
    It’s for people much smarter than I am.

That’s how I always felt.

It’s funny, because I wrote a review on it in the App Store, when I thought I was finally getting the hang of it. Then, Alex added a bunch of features and I realized I had no idea how to use them. That’s when I realized I was in over my head.

• I have just put my 5 star review.
    With iPhone support and audio tracks in 2019 this will fill all my needs! :)

• edited December 2018

Done: '7 years - the circle has been closed. Simple and elegant. Legendary nanostudio' ;)

Congrats, Matt, thanks & all the best

• Left my first review and first rating for an app. Never felt compelled to do so until now.

• @kleptolia said:

@SlapHappy said:

@kleptolia said:

I have SunVox on my phone just to listen to the demo tunes, lots of nice ones. As for actually using it... maybe one fine day.

• So far I have to say that NS2 exceeds my expectations and does everything I need it to. I can tell that I will spend a lot of time with this app as my go-to app at the center of my production. Thanks Blip Interactive! This is a great early Christmas gift.

• So looking forward to kicking back for a week with NS2. Blip Interactive, you’ve saved Christmas!

• 5 ⭐️ On AppStore now ☮️

• Let me add my 5 then.

• Just dropped my 5 stars !,

• @kleptolia said:
    Wait, are people still using Audiobus? I had no idea. 🤗

I got AUM and gladly never bothered using Audiobus again. I never used AB midi features or state-saving anyway.

Not only that, but with What Nanostudio 2 allows for with audio units, I’m not sure that AUM will really carry much importance forward for me.

The lastest update to Audiobus 3.x allows you to record your midiflow from AU MidiFX into Nanostudio 2 (and Beatmaker 3 etc,)...

So, I will probably keep my Audiobus technology many years to come...

• Canadians seem to love NS2, there were two five star ratings and I just gladly added mine to the fold <3

• Gave it 3 stars. Generous from my POV. Ns2 is work in progress more than any other daw I ever used. I’ve barely used it past week or so after brief honeymoon. Hoping 2019 sees things move forward quickly

• @flockz said:
    Gave it 3 stars. Generous from my POV. Ns2 is work in progress more than any other daw I ever used. I’ve barely used it past week or so after brief honeymoon. Hoping 2019 sees things move forward quickly

Well, everybody is entitled to their opinion...even if it’s wrong. 😏

• @flockz said:
    Gave it 3 stars. Generous from my POV. Ns2 is work in progress more than any other daw I ever used. I’ve barely used it past week or so after brief honeymoon. Hoping 2019 sees things move forward quickly

Could you provide us with the things you are missing?

• tjatja
    edited December 2018

@flockz said:

Ah, and you stars should show how you rate what the App HAS, not what you are missing, BTW.
    Just, how things are implemented.

• @tja said:

@flockz said:

Ah, and you stars should show how you rate what the App HAS, not what you are missing, BTW.

Is that in Apple terms and conditions? I must have missed it... I’m just rating it in terms of whats there now. It has some teething issues and some things that bug me in terms of workflow/implementation. Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion right? If I was rating in terms of what’s missing, as you seem to be presuming, then it’d probably be fewer stars than three, but I wasn’t...

• edited December 2018

Not Apple terms and condition. Just, based on my logic, it’s weird to rate app low because it doesn’t contain features which weren’t listed in app description or which were explicitely listed in app description as NOT implemented yet :)))

If i should think this way then i would give for examle to BM3 rating minus 5 stars :)))) But i did not that, if i rate app my strategy is rate what IS in app and how it works because this will help other users to decide.

Because, in my opinion, rating based on subjective preferences of missing features can be tricky, features crucial for yoy can ve completely useless and not needed for somebody else.

But ok, you’re customer, you payed app, it’s your right to give it even single star.. Nobody should blame you for your opinion.

• @dendy said:

Not Apple terms and condition. Just, based on my logic, it’s weird to rate app low because it doesn’t contain features which weren’t listed in app description or which were explicitely listed in app description as NOT implemented yet :)))

If i should think this way then i would give for examle to BM3 rating minus 5 stars :))))

But ok, you’re customer, you payed app, it’s your right to give it even single star.. Nobody should blame you for your opinion.

Like I said, my review was based on my feelings on what’s there. Not what isn’t ;)

5 star = perfect. 1 star = terrible. My feelings on ns2 atm overall are middle area, but more pros than cons. = 3 stars. Not sure why anyone’s reviews that aren’t 5 star should automatically require explanation/justification.

I wouldn’t have posted it here except it seems like for potential customers it might be useful for them to be aware that ns2 isn’t entirely smooth sailing for ‘some’ people. And to then dig around the forum to find some of the reasons why. If they aren’t things that affect their decision then great, but it’s nice to be aware of as much as possible ahead of making purchases.

I have a significant workflow issue with the way you have to assign macros for automation and can’t just do it via gui, steppolyarp doesn’t work, slate pads require workarounds for basic routing per pad, etc....If all that stuff gets ironed out I’ll be more inclined to give higher rating.

• I find NanoStudio 2 to be the most intuituve DAW that I have ever used, including on PC. Desktop programs might have tons of specialized features that I don’t need and the GUI for those just gets in the way. iOS DAWs are more awkward than not, which gets in the way of creating, so for me NanoStudio 2 gets 5 stars for making it so much easier to create music. I’m not here to bicker about features it doesn’t yet have, or to argue what should or should not be the best way to implement new features. I’m hear to revel in an music production app that works really well. Give credit where credit is due.

Plus, positive ratings help promote sales and that helps us actually get upgrades we want. We can negatively review an app into abandonware status or push the positives and reap the rewards of a postive user/developer relationship. Seem pretty simple.

• @User_Error said:
    I find NanoStudio 2 to be the most intuituve DAW that I have ever used, including on PC. Desktop programs might have tons of specialized features that I don’t need and the GUI for those just gets in the way. iOS DAWs are more awkward than not, which gets in the way of creating, so for me NanoStudio 2 gets 5 stars for making it so much easier to create music. I’m not here to bicker about features it doesn’t yet have, or to argue what should or should not be the best way to implement new features. I’m hear to revel in an music production app that works really well. Give credit where credit is due.

Plus, positive ratings help promote sales and that helps us actually get upgrades we want. We can negatively review an app into abandonware status or push the positives and reap the rewards of a postive user/developer relationship. Seem pretty simple.

If I was having the same experience as you are with ns2 then yeah for sure, that sounds like 5 stars. And you’re right to review it accordingly. But I’m not. I find aspects of ns2 to feel awkward and oddly or disappointingly implemented. If voicing that in an honest way somehow reduces the chance of it improving in those areas then that goes against the customer/developer system that has always promoted improvement in other software. I like more of ns2 than I don’t like. My rating reflected that. But far from ‘all’ of it. Makes a total mockery of the stars/review system to imply that people should rate something as 5 stars, regardless of their feelings and experience on it. Just as a favour to a developer. Its like being asked to lie to all other prospective customers in some kind of weird encouraged propaganda pact. I think buying any software/hardware that is admittedly unfinished in good faith is already a pretty big act of support and good will. Honest feedback shouldn’t be frowned upon.