Nanostudio 2 Songs Megathread

Comments

• edited May 2019

@ScottVZ said:
    Hello everyone. I'm new here, and I just created my first composition in NanoStudio 2. There are over 40 tracks in this piece, and most of them are custom Obsidian patches I made myself from orchestral instruments I sampled from Beathawk, iSymphonic, Garageband, Sampletank (Miroslav), and Korg Module (Orchestral Dreams). Let me know what ya'll think! I'm open to any advice about how to make it sound better. I'm definitely more of a composer than a sound designer or audio engineer.

Oo, this is cool! I love the kind of vintage feel you're getting out of all these modern apps. It reminds me of Kitaro and also in parts Clannad.

I hope this isn't a mortal insult because I mean that in the best way :)

@aliosa27 said:
    Just some nonsense junk

Love the first part, it's just that kind of restrained suspense building that I love and am completely incapable of producing myself. The abrupt spindown was a bit of a surprise but the rest of the track was nice as well, albeit a completely different song. But like @Cinebient I kind of wish the beginning would have resolved into something more because I absolutely loved it, can't emphasize this enough. Loved it.

• @dendy said:
    @ScottVZ just W.O.W. This is SOMETHING ! Epic amazing track, one of best tracks i ever heard not just made in NS, but made on iPad at all. :+1::+1::+1:

@drez Looks like you have competition here ! Looking forward for your next track.

Ah, thanks Dendy! That means a lot.

• @Stiksi said:

@ScottVZ said:
    Hello everyone. I'm new here, and I just created my first composition in NanoStudio 2. There are over 40 tracks in this piece, and most of them are custom Obsidian patches I made myself from orchestral instruments I sampled from Beathawk, iSymphonic, Garageband, Sampletank (Miroslav), and Korg Module (Orchestral Dreams). Let me know what ya'll think! I'm open to any advice about how to make it sound better. I'm definitely more of a composer than a sound designer or audio engineer.

Oo, this is cool! I love the kind of vintage feel you're getting out of all these modern apps. It reminds me of Kitaro and also in parts Clannad.

I hope this isn't a mortal insult because I mean that in the best way :)

@aliosa27 said:
    Just some nonsense junk

Love the first part, it's just that kind of restrained suspense building that I love and am completely incapable of producing myself. The abrupt spindown was a bit of a surprise but the rest of the track was nice as well, albeit a completely different song. But like @Cinebient I kind of wish the beginning would have resolved into something more because I absolutely loved it, can't emphasize this enough. Loved it.

Thanks Stiksi! A lot of my music has influences from Japanese composers, mostly because I grew up playing JRPGs with some of the best soundtracks ever - Final Fantasy 6-9, Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, and then all of those awesome fantasy movies from the 1980s with rich soundtracks. To be able to write that style of music on a thin glass slate I carry with me in my backpack everyday to my boring office job is just great. It let’s me be my true self, even if it’s only for a short amount of time each day 🙂.

• @Cinebient said:
    @ScottVZ : Indeed (like most of your other iOS stuff) really amazing. Wonderful composition which bound me to listen trough the whole track. Lots of interesting changes to hold the listener and with unexpected events.
    The only thing i personally could imagine to top that would be a more cohesive mix/better spatalization of certain instruments for that more immersive 3D space. But that is just me (also maybe not possible yet with iOS tools) and in general i just can recommend to everyone to listen to your soundcloud. Lots of great work to hear there.
    So i think while there is place for better mix/master i would say that you are a master at composing themes. Wonderful.

Thanks Cinebient! Yes, it's true...I struggle with space! Haha. But you may be right about the current limits of iOS. I haven't used any desktop based DAW's since before 2006, but I see things like Binaural Panning in Logic that would probably do wonders. I've been meaning to experiment with Virtual Room Pro, although it probably won't sound as good as the tools on desktop. Hmmm, maybe NS2 will get Binaural Panning in the future? That would be awesome. I'm just grateful to finally have an iOS DAW that has true tempo and time signature freedom. Creating the tempo ramps so that it gradually slows down or speeds up can add so much expression. I've wanted that since I started writing music on iOS just over 2 years ago.

• edited May 2019

@ScottVZ said:

@ScottVZ man, this is just wonderful! Really great composition, sir! Such a great cinematic vibe going. You’ve done an amazing job with your sample library! Those French horns at around 2:40...glorious. I grew up playing the FR so I’m a sucker for a strong lead line like that. The arpeggio string runs are soooo suspenseful! Also, the choirs are well placed. And the bells! The bells!

I’m not very “theory knowledgeable “ but your use of suspended chords and playing the II chord over the I is nice...it creates those big unresolved landscapes.

I’m just super stoked for you and proud of your accomplishment. It’s very encouraging to hear your piece because it makes me want to keep pushing my own envelopes and pay attention to the details. You’ve really done that here. A showcase for not just your talent, but putting in the work on the details to make it so refined. Big kudos Scott and welcome to the community!!!!! 👍🏻👊🏻💪🏻🙏

• @drez said:

@ScottVZ said:

@ScottVZ man, this is just wonderful! Really great composition, sir! Such a great cinematic vibe going. You’ve done an amazing job with your sample library! Those French horns at around 2:40...glorious. I grew up playing the FR so I’m a sucker for a strong lead line like that. The arpeggio string runs are soooo suspenseful! Also, the choirs are well placed. And the bells! The bells!

I’m not very “theory knowledgeable “ but your use of suspended chords and playing the II chord over the I is nice...it creates those big unresolved landscapes.

I’m just super stoked for you and proud of your accomplishment. It’s very encouraging to hear your piece because it makes me want to keep pushing my own envelopes and pay attention to the details. You’ve really done that here. A showcase for not just your talent, but putting in the work on the details to make it so refined. Big kudos Scott and welcome to the community!!!!! 👍🏻👊🏻💪🏻🙏

Wow, thanks Drez! Sounds like you really know your stuff! I know a little music theory but nothing advanced. I grew up playing piano and alto sax (band nerd for life 😏). I’ve been obsessed with movie and game soundtracks my whole life. When I was young, I started noticing the way certain composers had a certain sound that made them recognizable. I would try to mimic that sound on the piano and slowly started to figure it out, so when I compose now I don’t really think about the type of chords or chord names, but rather sitting at the piano and where my hands would be positioned. So I’m like, a John Williams chord would sound good here, or a Jerry Goldsmith mysterious sparkly harp-flute-synth combo will add an unexpected turn here, or maybe some Elfman-like choir here. I just like to mix styles from all my favorite composers and soundtracks.

• @ScottVZ said:
    So I’m like, a John Williams chord would sound good here, or a Jerry Goldsmith mysterious sparkly harp-flute-synth combo will add an unexpected turn here, or maybe some Elfman-like choir here. I just like to mix styles from all my favorite composers and soundtracks.

This sounds like a really creative and personal way to approach composing and it obviously works! I do that with sounds but can’t grasp chord structure at all despite my parents and sister all being super classical music nerds.

• New track, as usually, most things is from Obsidian, most of used FX build in .. on 2 or 3 tracks is used FAC Transient .. 303 sound is Troublemaker, for one arpeggio is used Ripplemaker.

• @dendy said:
    New track, as usually, most things is from Obsidian, most of used FX build in .. on 2 or 3 tracks is used FAC Transient .. 303 sound is Troublemaker, for one arpeggio is used Ripplemaker.

Wow, that was trippy, the sounds are really alive and changing all the time! I especially loved the lead lines toward the end.

• thanks stiksi !

• @dendy man, your stuff is just so well done. I am a SUCKER for 303’s and yours is lit. I just love the energy of everything and the production is just so on point. Really am jealous but so very proud!! You are just a talent. :heart:

Can I ask you what you are doing your mixing with? Monitors? Headphones? Any final master or just straight out of NS2?

• edited May 2019

@drez thanks, i'm really glad you like it :)

Can I ask you what you are doing your mixing with? Monitors? Headphones? Any final master or just straight out of NS2?

Truth is, i used just Apple EarBuds .. at the end, i checked it with Senheisser HD650 but i was surprisingly satisfied (or to be more precise i was not sure if i want to change something or not, so i leaved it as is to avoid risk i break somehing :))

No external mastering, this is just plain straight mixdown from NS (with subtle NS limiter on master) - i was never good in mastering, when i will have enough material for whole album i will probably ask my friend with huge mastering experiences

• @dendy said:
    @drez thanks, i'm really glad you like it :)

Truth is, i used just Apple EarBuds .. at the end, i checked it with Senheisser HD650 but i was surprisingly satisfied (or to be more precise i was not sure if i want to change something or not, so i leaved it as is to avoid risk i break somehing :))

No external mastering, this is just plain straight mixdown from NS (with subtle NS limiter on master) - i was never good in mastering, when i will have enough material for whole album i will probably ask my friend with huge mastering experiences

Yeah I’ve packed up my PC and monitors so it’s apple headbuds for me as well. I’m not happy with my mix and trying to figure out why so it’s been slow going. Plus I’m trying to prep up for moving so I’ve had to back off on my music stuff for a bit. In a few months I should have more time, I hope. But I’m going to try and shove this tune out soon because I’m tired of hearing it when I pick up my iPad :lol:

• edited May 2019

problem with earbuds is, that they play basses too loud, and high frequencies too quiet. Because of too loud basses also some mid-range spectrum details are hidden. Maybe at 50% i'm adjusting volumes and equalisation curves not based on what i hear but based on my knowledge / experience how it should be set :)

I was not satisfied with mix of this track too - but when i switched to HD650 i realised it is really lot better that it sounded on EarBuds :))

Referencing is great help too ! I have 2-3 small loops from official tracks which i like, and sometimes i mute whole project and unmute just slate with those ref tracks to refresh my ears and to hear how it should really sound..

Ironically i didn't used this method this time (because sometimes i'm lazy :)) I have plans to revisit it later, compare with reference and fine tune it on my Eris E8 in my "studio" (which is now more just my office than music room, because ironically i sit there just when i'm working :))

• Elevating, Dendy!

• @dendy Really awesome track! The sound is so crisp and clear, like a juicy digital apple. It makes me want to dive deeper into Obsidian and utilize more of it's synth capabilities in the future.

• @dendy said:
    thanks stiksi !

Oh man, listened to this again with better headphones and it makes me wish I could go clubbing again three nights a week like in my twenties and just take over the dance floor. Superb dance track. 👏

• wow thanks again guys, didn't expected so much positive feedbacks :) i'm really realy glad !

• @ScottVZ Excellent track! You got a really wide range of emotion to flow together so smoothly. The track sounds so natural. Would be interesting to see the tempo & signature changes, and I’d like to hear more about your workflow sampling of those other apps. Are you capturing audio with AudioShare?

@dendy super track! Lots of great energy swirling around with really cool sounds. Nicely done sir!

• edited May 2019

It's a rarity but I actually made one of my own with some help from SpaceCraft:

.. more info here: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/606

• Damn Mr Blip! That is seriously laid back! So laid back I could feel it lowering my heart rate. Thanks! Was needing that just now. Very cool sounding FX and nice breathing room to let the sounds... breathe.

• edited May 2019

Another Short End. Composed in NS, with mostly built-in devices, AUs used are: Tardigrain, iSEM, ShimmerFX and BLEASS Delay. I added some multiband compression and another bell sound in Ableton Live.

• I dig the goove you’ve got going there @Stiksi

• @SlapHappy said:
    I dig the goove you’ve got going there @Stiksi

Thanks! I just noticed I managed to cut the tail off the song by accident but I guess it’s not a big loss.

• @Stiksi said:

@SlapHappy said:

Thanks! I just noticed I managed to cut the tail off the song by accident but I guess it’s not a big loss.

You’re welcome! I just noticed I mispelled groove by accident. Damn.

• edited May 2019

@Stiksi said:

@SlapHappy said:

I just noticed I managed to cut my leg off by accident. Damn.

• @Blip Interactive said:

@Stiksi said:

@SlapHappy said:

I just noticed I managed to cut my leg off by accident. Damn.

Is it the one you were planning on selling? You have got to learn to respect the merchandise, son!

• just noticed I managed to cut my leg off by accident. Damn.

That's ok, you need just hands and head to deliver updates.

• Yeah, but can we be guaranteed a date for updates anymore now that the legs is gone? It’s like he’s admitted he’ll just be late anyway and so has just cut the leg off to be done with the pressure. I think he has a leg up on us now.

• Made use of the latest track in a Very Important Dad Moment.

This discussion has been closed.