NanoStudio 2.0.1 now available

Yep I know, it's been a long time coming. I've needed some time off to re-integrate with the real world after launch but I've managed to get a fair number of the most popular user requests into this update.

It may take a few hours before the update becomes fully available across the globe. Additionally, it may take a little while for the new Audiobus functionality to become available since that also requires activation.

Aside from feature requests I've tried hard to ensure that what's already in the app is working as smoothly as possible so there have been a lot of small fixes and tweaks, particularly in the area of Audio Units. This has been a slow process of discovery which has sometimes requiring communication with AU developers in certain tricky cases, but I'm fairly confident that nearly all (known!) compatibility issues have now been fixed.

I realise that there are still a number of popular feature requests which didn't make it into this update, but I'll need something to do in future!

Here's the full list of changes since 2.0.0:

Audiobus

• Now supports Audiobus for main mix output and sampling input

iPad Pro

• Display layout has been optimized for all iPad Pro models

Audio Units

• Added modulation wheel controller to AU instrument
  • Fixed discovery problem for some MIDI FX AUs (eg. Step Poly Arp)
  • Effects with alternative MIDI and non-MIDI versions are now enumerated
  • List of external MIDI/Audio AU effects is now sorted alphabetically
  • Fix for beat sync issues with some AUs
  • Removed animation from AU minimize/maximise due to slow UI resizing
  • AU Instrument: Fixed bug where bank list A-Z shortcut would not always work
  • AU Instrument: Reduced the chance of parameter automation unnecessarily setting the
    project to 'modified'

• AU Instrument: Fixed bug where the default macro controller mappings were not always
    using the Audio Unit's overview (most important) parameters.

• Various fixes and workarounds for reported AU issues

MIDI

• Added Bluetooth pairing dialogue to Settings/MIDI page
  • Added a virtual MIDI input port
  • Note release responds to sustain (hold) pedal controllers
  • Added modulation wheel controller to External MIDI instrument
  • Fixed bug where MIDI controller mappings for track and send volume/pan controls were not
    saved with the project

• Added a small deadband around the pitchwheel centre position to handle external hardware
    controllers which don't always return to the exact centre when the wheel is released

Sample Editor

• Added 'Save Selection' to ACTIONS menu (or 'Save As' if no selection is made)
  • Double tap on ACTION command button trims the current selection
  • Selection length now shown in bottom left panel using current time units
  • Now handles hardware sample rate changes during recording

Pattern Editor

• Touches on the vertical keyboard will audition MIDI notes
  • Octave up/down drag handle buttons are no longer shown when velocity editor is visible
    due to the lack of vertical space

Song Editor

• Muted parts are not included in MIDI export
  • Automation recording: Improved accuracy of recorded points when recording real-time
    controller movements

• When exporting a single MIDI clip to a file, the filename defaults to the clip's custom name if
    it has one

• Fixed bug where drag handle could sometimes get stuck when a second touch is initiated

• Fixed playback bug when looping, where new note on messages from the loop start were
    sometimes sent after the note offs from the loop end rather than before them

• Automation Editor: Fixed bug when editing AU automation, where the param's current value
    was shown instead of the selected points' values.
    Mixer and Effects

• Real-time rendering is performed at current hardware sample rate

• Track FX list: Effects are given a number suffix if the same type occurs multiply in the list
  • Internal effects: Fixed bug where the default patch was not loaded by a new effect (if one
    was saved).

Obsidian

• Double tapping on a macro control knob restores it to the patch's original value
  • Osc Phase knob is now greyed out when the sample or noise oscillator types are selected
    (phase only applies to oscillators which generate periodic waveforms)

• Fixed overflowing text in modulation list for long destination names

• Fixed bug where formant filter could sometimes go unstable at 96kHz mixdown sample rate

Slate

• Added spectrum analyser to bus EQs
  • Touch velocity mode is now available in all layout types (ie. all pad sizes)
  • Fixed bug where D2 did not go to infinity (as labelled) in One-Shot mode
  • Fixed bug where minimized pads weren't always updated when changing between
    instruments

General UI

• Improved legibility of small fonts
  • Status Bar: Tapping on the metronome icon toggles the metronome play mode
  • On-screen piano keys: Increased the octave range for all instruments which use it
  • File browser: Contents are refreshed when NanoStudio is returned to the foreground to pick
    up external file changes (eg. those made using the iOS Files app).

• File browser: Fixed a bug where importing a single file (eg. from Dropbox) would place the
    file in the parent folder rather than the current folder

• Settings page: Fixed bug where the UI wasn't updated to show the current Track Mute Style

• Help page: Fixed bug where status bar dropdowns would not respond to touches if the help
    page was visible

Comments

• Fantastic!

• @Blip Interactive said:
    Slate

• Touch velocity mode is now available in all layout types (ie. all pad sizes)

Yay - awesome!

• Marvellous!!!!

• Congrats Matt!!!!! Those were very good choices for your first update. Lots of happy folks, I’m sure. Bravo!!

• Thank you for the quality update! <3

• Wow. Great update.

Im esp excited with this ...
    Fixed bug where MIDI controller mappings for track and send volume/pan controls were not
    saved with the project

Gonna be using my Novation Circuit to control everything

• OMG! The iPad Pro screen optimization...so...beautiful. I didn’t think it would be a big deal for me but wow....I just got a bunch more screen real estate on my 13” model.

• Ahhhhh, you're a killer!!!!!
    :):):):)

Many thanks.

That was realy much stuff in one update!
    Impressive.

Maybe publish smaller updates?
    More feedback, more interaction, more joy :)=);)B)

• tjatja
    edited May 2019

And please add some forum categories ;)

Bug Reports
    Feature Requests

• edited May 2019

Thanks guys (and lasses?). I spend 80% of my time worrying about what I haven't done and the other 20% forgetting what I have done. My main regrets were not getting a chance to look at AU FX (automation, recording MIDI output etc.) but there's always a next time ...

I planned on this being a smaller update but various (usually small) AU issues kept rolling in. Since these often involved communicating with other developers, a few days would go by and in that time I got on with something else. Then, just went I thought the coast was clear another AU issue would roll in... I wanted to get to the stage where I could be assured that NanoStudio's AU hosting implementation was close as possible to 'industry standard'. I'm pretty sure it's robust now but I suspect there will still be a few issues to iron out.

And please add some forum categories ;)

Ah yes, that's on my list of stuff to look at when I'm out of the coding hole for longer than a couple of days. Which I suppose is now - I'll draw a ring around it with my special red pen.

• Will there be new effects, synth engines, and wavetables coming soon?

• Thanks & congrats :)

• edited May 2019

Excellent work!

Any chance of a quick fix to put the record button on the Audiobus slide-out? That’d make it really easy to record midi output from AUfx whose output can’t be recorded externally. (I’m thinking primarily of step sequencers like Octachron and key interfaces like KB1)

• edited May 2019

@legsmechanical regarding recording of MIDI AUfx it's now really easy using "Route" plugin. Check this video with example, you don't need audiobus for this ;)
    https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/6739/#Comment_6739

In KB1 you can now dierectly set "Nanostudio 2" as MIDI output (because Nanostudio now adds own virtual midi input port) - so again for sending MIDI from external apps into NS AB or other "middleware" app is not needed, it goes directly ;)

• @dendy said:
    @legsmechanical regarding recording of MIDI AUfx it's now really easy using "Route" plugin. Check this video with example, you don't need audiobus for this ;)
    https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/6739/#Comment_6739

In KB1 you can now dierectly set "Nanostudio 2" as MIDI output (because Nanostudio now adds own virtual midi input port) - so again for sending MIDI from external apps into NS AB or other "middleware" app is not needed, it goes directly ;)

All great tips! My thinking with the slide out record button is that even though I can route everything with relative ease, it’s really difficult to keep things in sync (or in the case of kb1 start playing on the 1) when I have to push record and then frantically jump to the midi app to push play or start playing live before the count-in ends. Maybe there’s a work around for this that I’m not thinking of?

• edited May 2019

Aah i undestand now what you mean.. yeah i agree that would be handy ! Wondering that i didn't get this idea during testing, it's so obvious..

• @drez said:
    OMG! The iPad Pro screen optimization...so...beautiful. I didn’t think it would be a big deal for me but wow....I just got a bunch more screen real estate on my 13” model.

I've got an 11" and I'm amazed at how much difference this makes too.

Also super excited about two of the little quality-of-life improvements: touch velocity on the main pad screen in Slate and demoing notes on the piano roll.

• edited May 2019

My Mixdowns are suuuuuper slow with 2.01. My 96khz 32bit float was at 0.6x to 0.8x now it won’t move past 0.1x. No other changes other than opening it up and rendering.

Edit: tried at 48khz 32bit float and it started at 0.4x and now it’s crawled to 0.1x as well.

• edited May 2019

@drez hm that sounds bad.. it will be for sure related to some AU plugin - can you try to remove one after one and identify which one is responsible for that ?

I'm not sure but i think Matt did some adjustmenets related to buffer size during mixdown as workaround for some bugs in VirSyn plugins (but i may be wrong), which teoretically can affect some other plugins ?

• please try set buffer size to "low" or "very low" and only then do mixdown - curious if it helps

• Lowering the buffer size does not help. Tomorrow I’ll try removing some AU’s. I’m nodding off super bad haha.

• @walkie said:

@drez said:
    OMG! The iPad Pro screen optimization...so...beautiful. I didn’t think it would be a big deal for me but wow....I just got a bunch more screen real estate on my 13” model.

I've got an 11" and I'm amazed at how much difference this makes too.

Also super excited about two of the little quality-of-life improvements: touch velocity on the main pad screen in Slate and demoing notes on the piano roll.

Yeah, I was shocked when I started Nano last night and the intro screen was so big, woh! The piano roll keyboard is great too. Cheers Matt.

• @Blip Interactive said:
    Thanks guys (and lasses?). I spend 80% of my time worrying about what I haven't done and the other 20% forgetting what I have done. My main regrets were not getting a chance to look at AU FX (automation, recording MIDI output etc.) but there's always a next time ...

Those things would be big for sure, but this update is already a huge improvement for my workflow.

• MIDI input opens a lot of doors. This is a great update. Thanks @Blip Interactive

• @anickt yeah exactly - i was surprised too, how much new workflows it made possible.

• What, no audio tracks? ;):p

• edited May 2019

@JimHanks Acually - they are already there completely implemented and finished, they are just hidden. There is super secret gestures sequence, which can enable them - but don't try to find this sequence, it's 10 hours long ...

:trollface:

• There’s always someone... 😉
    Nice to see a post from you.

• edited May 2019

Thanks for the update, really pleased my 12.9" ipad pro now has native screen resolution, the app is super sharp now. And AUs now play through the speaker without distorting, brilliant.

• @JimHanks said:
    What, no audio tracks? ;):p

Good to see I’m not the only one who was wondering where the audio tracks are. Not a huge deal to me but I’m wondering what the reason is for this? What is the method they suggest to use for audio?

This discussion has been closed.