Some audio unit instruments crackle in NS2

Hi, just seeing if anyone else is experiencing this? Several apps have crackly audio output when loaded in NS2 but are fine in Cubasis, Audiobus etc. Apps from Virsyn, sunrizer and iVCS3 are a few I’ve experienced this with and at the moment they are unusable. Sugar bytes, SynthMaster and Moog seem ok tho. Is this expected behaviour or am I the only one?

Comments

• I find myself using Obsidian and Slate more and more and AU’s less. I’m on an Air 1 and those apps all use way more CPU than the built-in ones. Have you tried changing Buffer Latency under Settings?

• edited February 2019

@dflux

most probably it's incorrect sample rate handling, even through it not looks that, this is something which needs to be fixed in those plugins ..

read more in this thread, my post and then Matt added some more detailed description of this issue

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/439/list-of-plugins-with-problem-in-sample-rate-handling#latest

Best to report those bug to devs of that plugins, more reports, more likely they will fix it ;)

• @anickt said:
    Have you tried changing Buffer Latency under Settings?

^this

• @number37 virsyn sunrizer - don't think issue will be buffer .. almost sure well known sample rate issue ..

• Yes I have switched it to high even, which I shouldn’t have to because I have a iPad Pro 11 model. This thing is more powerful than some laptops. BeatMaker can handle them with 128 or 256 with no issue, so I think it’s definitely a NS2 issue.

@anickt said:
    I find myself using Obsidian and Slate more and more and AU’s less. I’m on an Air 1 and those apps all use way more CPU than the built-in ones. Have you tried changing Buffer Latency under Settings?

• @dflux did you read my post and link above ?

• Yes just did now. Confirms my issue.
    I will be patient and wait for updates.
    Thanks, I quickly looked through the threads but didn’t see this one.

@dendy said:
    @dflux did you read my post and link above ?

• @dflux I did warn a couple of other developers in the light of this, and they are aware of the issue, and so is Blip Interactive, as Dendy confirms. Indeed. Sit tight, and an update will be with everyone soon.

• Hi @dflux

This does sound like one of the symptoms which can occur with AU plugins not responding to the host's sample rate request correctly.

I've just tried the iVCS3 Audio Unit instrument out on an iPad Air 2, and although I don't get any crackling sounds during real-time render I have found that the AU's pitch is incorrect at different mixdown sample rates, which is definitely a symptom of the plugin not handling the sample rate correctly.

I can speak to the developer about this as I've already been in touch with him about something else, but it would be handy to get a bit more info so I can give him a precise report:

1. Can you confirm this definitely happens when iVCS3 is the only AU in the project? (so we can rule out all other AUs as a potential cause)
    2. What iPad model are you using?
    3. Does it make any difference if you use your iPad's speakers instead of the headphone jack?
  • edited February 2019

@Blip Interactive

it's definitely our old well
    known sample rate issue.. just added it to list in issue thread - i tested it, mixdown on all rates except of 44 khz is broken same way like with VirSyn plugs...

• edited February 2019

Thanks for the support this is so much better than the BM3 forum where my issue was ignored. Yes it still crackles from speakers as well and still persists when it’s the only AU in the project with the iVCS3 as well as the other plug ins on your list. I have an iPad Pro 11 inch 2018. By the way do you know if there are plans for Bézier curves in the automation section of NS2? If not I will add a request.
    Thanks everyone for the support! I use Ableton to release my own music and would love NS2 to be my go to for travelling!

@Blip Interactive said:
    Hi @dflux

This does sound like one of the symptoms which can occur with AU plugins not responding to the host's sample rate request correctly.

I've just tried the iVCS3 Audio Unit instrument out on an iPad Air 2, and although I don't get any crackling sounds during real-time render I have found that the AU's pitch is incorrect at different mixdown sample rates, which is definitely a symptom of the plugin not handling the sample rate correctly.

I can speak to the developer about this as I've already been in touch with him about something else, but it would be handy to get a bit more info so I can give him a precise report:

1. Can you confirm this definitely happens when iVCS3 is the only AU in the project? (so we can rule out all other AUs as a potential cause)
    2. What iPad model are you using?
    3. Does it make any difference if you use your iPad's speakers instead of the headphone jack?
  • I also have ipad pro 11” (2018). What iOS ver do you have. There were some critical bugs in 12.1 that introduced audio clicks / drops

• edited February 2019

The latest one (12.1.3) but it was present since I installed NS2 under 12.1 I think

@qbassa said:
    I also have ipad pro 11” (2018). What iOS ver do you have. There were some critical bugs in 12.1 that introduced audio clicks / drops

• No crackling with iVCS3, or any AU for me. I have not tried any mix downs with pitched VCS3 patches tho. All my VCS3 stuff is ambient sfx, and the majority of factory patches do not track the keyboard in any meaningful way.

• Do you have the same iPad as me? (iPad Pro 2018 11 inch)?

@toneman said:
    No crackling with iVCS3, or any AU for me. I have not tried any mix downs with pitched VCS3 patches tho. All my VCS3 stuff is ambient sfx, and the majority of factory patches do not track the keyboard in any meaningful way.

• I have the iPad Pro 12.9 with ios 12.1.3 - I purchased it in Jan 2018

• @toneman

just try to do mixdown with for example 96khz rate and you will have issue too :-) It's sample rate handlig issue in plugin. Needs to be fixed in plugin.