Return to NS1 world

Hello, I’ve started using NS1 again, yeah I got NS2 but for fun enjoyed breathing new life into a very old iPad. Am I normal?

Comments

• I think so. It might even be hip and trendy to use retro gear and apps. NS1 isn’t all that old in reality. I still have old devices with NS1 on them and plan to use those to generate samples to feed into NS2, which isn’t quite the same as using NS1 for sequencing.

• Ha yeah, imagine a world where apps can be retro, I mean it is what… 14 years old?

• That’s at least “antique” in the app world. Not ancient, like Atari or Amiga, but pretty old. Even NS2 is 6 years old, …and still runs amazingly well. Somewhere I have one of those keyboards that the iPhone plugged into. NS1 was great with that retro keyboard.

• Oooh, who made that? There’s a company on eBay selling ‘new’ iPod Touches for about £40 thinking of getting that and some accessories and just hammering NS1 for fun - good manual too that one, very simples

• edited October 19

It was called the Akai Synthstation 25 and there are some available on eBay and Reverb. It used the original iPhone plug (not lightning). The keys were small, but it was a fun interface for iPuone apps. Considering the drumpads and pitch & mod wheels, it was a pretty good deal. Still would be for an old iDevice on iOS 10 or earlier.

• Oh aye, I remember them - might try eBay them, cheers, since I have your attention… was Bluetooth a thing back then, I was always midi, I got NS1 running on an old iPad

• I wonder if I could get an old Bluetooth keyboard

• Bluetooth was and I think still is a bit laggy for musical intruments. OK to passively listen to music, but wired connections are the way to go. I don’t recall the state of things on iOS 10 but I remember when NS1 started MIDI wasn’t possible between apps.

• Guys, is there any way to get NS1 these days?
    As a hardcore NS2 fan I would very much welcome trying NS1 as well but of course the app is no longer on the apple store

• @starkfvx said:
    Guys, is there any way to get NS1 these days?
    As a hardcore NS2 fan I would very much welcome trying NS1 as well but of course the app is no longer on the apple store

If you already own NS1 then you can still find it in your purchased items in the App Store - if you have an old device with a compatible iOS version. There's no other way to get it on iOS / iPadOS.

There are Windows and MacOS versions available, but I think you have to have a pretty old MacOS version to be able to run that version. Windows, I can't say.

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio1/

• edited October 21

@SlapHappy said:
    Bluetooth was and I think still is a bit laggy for musical intruments. OK to passively listen to music, but wired connections are the way to go. I don’t recall the state of things on iOS 10 but I remember when NS1 started MIDI wasn’t possible between apps.

The excessive latency only applies to Bluetooth audio. Bluetooth MIDI (BLE MIDI) has very little latency. Most people don't have any problem with it unless they're pretty sensitive to latency.

BLE Midi is generally less than 1ms added latency, whereas Bluetooth Audio is hundreds of times higher.