Is it possible to automate AUv3 parameters by using the External MIDI instrument?

I'm trying to send a MIDI CC knob to an AUv3 instrument (or effect) in NanoStudio 2, so that I can automate it. I've tried my self, using Network Session and a MIDI send to the desired track, but I haven't gotten it to work. I've tried an AUv3 instrument with MIDI learn, by triggering learn and moving a knob in External MIDI, but that has not worked.

Does anyone know how to control AUv3 parameters via MIDI in NanoStudio 2? Thanks, guys.

Comments

• edited May 2022

@upgrayedd86 said:
    I'm trying to send a MIDI CC knob to an AUv3 instrument (or effect) in NanoStudio 2, so that I can automate it. I've tried my self, using Network Session and a MIDI send to the desired track, but I haven't gotten it to work. I've tried an AUv3 instrument with MIDI learn, by triggering learn and moving a knob in External MIDI, but that has not worked.

Does anyone know how to control AUv3 parameters via MIDI in NanoStudio 2? Thanks, guys.

This isn’t something I’ve managed to get to work “in the box” (ie with nothing external to NS2 needing to run).

That said I haven’t managed it “out the box” either! I am exclusively using iPhone so don’t have access to https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/midi-tools/id1446209019 which may help you out here (or might not).

For me, the fact Drambo doesn’t expose any auv3 parameters for automation is a constant annoyance - and not being able to send cc data to it is annoying too.

I have worked around it by setting note filters in Drambo, and assigning the velocity of said notes to cc’s (eg C-1) - and assigning the cc’s to things like filter cuttoff, wavetable oscillator position, that kind of thing.

NS2 playing note C-1 (in this example) is filtered out from Drambo’s oscillator’s gate - so you can’t hear it as the oscillator never plays it - but as it’s assigned to a cc then that cc’s value is set by the note’s velocity.

That way I can control those parameters from a midiclip in NS2 by having the respective note (eg C-1) repeating at 1/128 resolution through the entire midiclip and altering the velocities of each note which will increase or decrease the respective cc’s value in Drambo

It’s far from ideal - 1/128 resolution & only 128 velocity values so under a microscope you can’t get beautifully smooth filtersweeps - and it’s a bit of a faff, but for what I create it will do : I’ve not had anyone listen to my music and say “those filter sweeps aren’t very smooth mate” as the non muso-techy doesn’t notice or care about such things (and musos & techys, although welcome, are not my target audience anyway 😁)

Anyway, it’s basically the same as how we used to automate the filter cutoff on the old Roland D110 from Cubase on the Atari waaaay back in the day! (AND there were NO audiotracks in Cubase back then either - how did we ever manage to release ANYTHING back then, eh? 🤣😂🤣)

Luckily this is my only use-case - all other auv3 synths I use expose their parameters and so are easily automate-able in NS2.

If anyone knows a way I haven’t figured out - preferably without having to run another app outside of NS2 - then I’m all ears 👍😊

• edited May 2022

@upgrayedd86 said:

You can't send the CC's directly to the AUv3. What you have to do is attach the AUv3 parameter to one of the eight macro knobs, then midi-learn from the controller to the macro knobs. This only works for instruments and not for FX unfortunately.

If you're already doing that and the problem is just that MIDI Learn for the macro knobs isn't working, then perhaps your Network Session isn't connected? NS2 doesn't initiate such a connection on its own. What type of device are you trying to control NS2 from via network session?

• @number37 said:

@upgrayedd86 said:

You can't send the CC's directly to the AUv3. What you have to do is attach the AUv3 parameter to one of the eight macro knobs, then midi-learn from the controller to the macro knobs. This only works for instruments and not for FX unfortunately.

If you're already doing that and the problem is just that MIDI Learn for the macro knobs isn't working, then perhaps your Network Session isn't connected? NS2 doesn't initiate such a connection on its own. What type of device are you trying to control NS2 from via network session?

That makes sense. Thank you. I’ll try out some of your advice. I was trying to use the built in “External MIDI Instrument” on one channel, to control an AUv3 Instrument on another. So, if I run Network Session on my Mac, that should facilitate network MIDI?

• @TakkAtakk said:

“those filter sweeps aren’t very smooth mate”

Haha. For real though, I’ll try out MIDI Tools; just bought it. Drambo looks pricey, but midi note oscillator would be useful. Maybe if all else fails. What I would give, if NS2 could do it all…

• @upgrayedd86 said:

@TakkAtakk said:

“those filter sweeps aren’t very smooth mate”

Haha. For real though, I’ll try out MIDI Tools; just bought it. Drambo looks pricey, but midi note oscillator would be useful. Maybe if all else fails. What I would give, if NS2 could do it all…

I love Drambo, I really do. I love the fact it allows me to build soundmaking machines and custom effects. The wavetable oscillators are an IAP but are superb - with them it is possible to create your own rudimentary Serum clone (or get close-ish: enough to reproduce many a Serum patch you see on Youtube videos).

Many people rave about Drambo’s sequencing and the fact it is primarily a groovebox, but I really don’t like that side of it - I don’t like grooveboxes in general as I don’t like step sequencing as a concept. I use Drambo purely for its synthesis abilities and so treat it as “just” another auv3 synth (or effect) in NS2.

As a synth, Drambo is limited only by your imagination. And the fact it doesn’t expose any parameters to a host… 😬

Personally, it’s one of the best purchases I’ve made 👍😊

• @upgrayedd86 said:

@number37 said:

@upgrayedd86 said:

That makes sense. Thank you. I’ll try out some of your advice. I was trying to use the built in “External MIDI Instrument” on one channel, to control an AUv3 Instrument on another. So, if I run Network Session on my Mac, that should facilitate network MIDI?

I'm really confused as to what you're trying to do. It might help if you describe exactly what you're sending the midi CC from and what you want to send it to.

Starting a Network MIDI session from the Mac isn't going to help anything unless you're trying to send the midi CC's from the Mac or from another device that is also connected to network session from the Mac.

• @number37 said:

@upgrayedd86 said:

@number37 said:

@upgrayedd86 said:

I'm really confused as to what you're trying to do. It might help if you describe exactly what you're sending the midi CC from and what you want to send it to.

Starting a Network MIDI session from the Mac isn't going to help anything unless you're trying to send the midi CC's from the Mac or from another device that is also connected to network session from the Mac.

Sorry, if I'm not articulating it, properly. I'll try again.

Channel 1: External MIDI Instrument (NS built in)
    MIDI Send: Channel 2

Channel 2: SynthMaster 2 AUv3

I'm trying to automate one of the External MIDI knobs Channel 1. In Channel 2 SynthMaster, I turn on MIDI learn, go back to Channel 1, and fiddle one of the knobs. I check Channel 2 SynthMaster, but it has not learned the MIDI knob in Channel 1.

Ultimately, I just want to be able to automate a SynthMaster filter cutoff knob.

• edited May 2022

@upgrayedd86 said:

@number37 said:

@upgrayedd86 said:

@number37 said:

@upgrayedd86 said:

Sorry, if I'm not articulating it, properly. I'll try again.

Channel 1: External MIDI Instrument (NS built in)
    MIDI Send: Channel 2

Channel 2: SynthMaster 2 AUv3

I'm trying to automate one of the External MIDI knobs Channel 1. In Channel 2 SynthMaster, I turn on MIDI learn, go back to Channel 1, and fiddle one of the knobs. I check Channel 2 SynthMaster, but it has not learned the MIDI knob in Channel 1.

Ultimately, I just want to be able to automate a SynthMaster filter cutoff knob.

OK - I don’t have Synthmaster2 as it is iPad only and I‘m exclusively iPhone, however I have Synthmaster1 so I‘d guess v2 has exposed its parameters to NS2 like v1 has.

If you’ve not assigned auv3 synth parameters to NS2‘s macro knobs before then hopefully this will help:

So, I‘ve loaded Synthmaster1 in to a NS2 track:

Now, tap this icon to see NS2‘s assignable macro controls:

Now tap this icon to make the controls editable:

Tap the control you want to assign (I am tapping Control X in this example):

You will then see this screen - all of Synthmaster1‘s exposed parameters are listed (millions of them!) : scroll through until you find the filter you wish to automate and tap it:

Job done! It is now assigned and automateable. I have also assigned the resonance in the same way to control Y:

Now on the track‘s timeline create a midi clip, double tap it to edit it and click this icon to view the automation lanes for each of the macro controls:

Now select which item you wish to automate and draw in your automation:

When you go back to the timeline the midiclip will show the names of the automated controls for ease of reference:

So, hopefully Synthmaster2 has followed Synthmaster1 in this way? If so, give that a try.

Right - Drambo has this morning been updated to v2 - hopefully it now has some exposed parameters too 🙏🙏🙏

• @TakkAtakk said:

Right - Drambo has this morning been updated to v2 - hopefully it now has some exposed parameters too 🙏🙏🙏

Nope ☹️ No it doesn’t 😡