Further development of N2

Hello,

First of all, I want to thank the developers for this DAW on which I feel very comfortable composing.

However, I bought the app on day one and there is still, no audiotrack, freeze track, or FX automation. Suddenly, it becomes quite disabling for many projects.

I read in several forum threads that the reason for this lack of update comes mainly from the self-funding of the application.

So my question is, will NS2 receive these major updates or will the development be dropped due to funding issues?

Comments

• No one knows for sure, but my guess is the latter. It’s a shame the app didn’t find the support it needed so development could remain active. Now it’s more on a ‘back burner’ status.
    It is what it is. For me NS2 is perfect, and my audio needs are handled with Slate. For those who must use traditional audio tracks, there are other apps that handle that audio. Some people use Multitrack Recorder Plugin as an AUV3 solution for audio. Have you tried that?

• I would add that there is automation of the built-in FX, just not of external AU ones. You can also automate volume, pan and many many of the Obsidian parameters. This confused me for a while too. So if you just want to automate a filter sweep for example, you can do it with the Internal FX or the synth settings :)
    As much as I too would love to be able to automate some of my plugins, this info might be helpful for you as it was for me.
    I personally don't use audio hardly at all, and if I need to, there is always Cubasis (whose workflow I don't like so much) and Auria (which I use primarily for mixing and finishing as it handles all the AU FX plugins more comprehensively)
    NS2 still is my first go-to DAW, whatever its limitations. So there it is. Probably depends on the kind of music you're making.
    All the best for 2022

• In my opinion, and I would hope @Blip Interactive is listening, but I would hope Matt takes a look at Loopy Pro's pricing model and give that a shot with NS2 someday :).

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    In my opinion, and I would hope @Blip Interactive is listening, but I would hope Matt takes a look at Loopy Pro's pricing model and give that a shot with NS2 someday :).

Excellent! This is kind of like a subscription without the evil part. You are not automatically charged every year. I love it.

Speaking for myself, I am ready to buy the next 2 years of upgrades now =)

• I would definitely, definitely pay for NS2 if it meant it could be further developed.

It's an absolutely amazing piece of software and is literally what I've been looking for for 20 years, I'm making music regularly just because of this app.

• I am amazed at the subscriptions paid for apps that manipulate photos. If Blip had made a simple photo manipulation app, he could have funded the development of NS2 indefinitly.

I doubt there will be very much new development in the near future. Probably just fixes for iOS ‘updates’. I hope there will be a day when the various aspects align for Blip to take another crack at NS2 and push it over the line to reach the intended goals. While it is fun to speculate, I think we just have to come to terms with the fact that NS2 is what it is. I love it and use it almost every day, but, like the rest of us on this forum, I’d love to see the dream achieved.

• @bobheads said:
    I would add that there is automation of the built-in FX, just not of external AU ones. You can also automate volume, pan and many many of the Obsidian parameters. This confused me for a while too. So if you just want to automate a filter sweep for example, you can do it with the Internal FX or the synth settings :)
    As much as I too would love to be able to automate some of my plugins, this info might be helpful for you as it was for me.
    I personally don't use audio hardly at all, and if I need to, there is always Cubasis (whose workflow I don't like so much) and Auria (which I use primarily for mixing and finishing as it handles all the AU FX plugins more comprehensively)
    NS2 still is my first go-to DAW, whatever its limitations. So there it is. Probably depends on the kind of music you're making.
    All the best for 2022

About me, I need the automation of certain external effects to NS2, such as the TURNADO or even the AUV3 of EVENTIDES.

Before NS2 I used AURIA PRO for production. But this DAW manages MIDI very badly. There are major bugs on it that have not been fixed until now. CUBASIS is no better. NS2 remains to this day the application that best manages MIDI instruments.

If I have to pay 20€ or even 50€ for NS2 to have a big update with effects automation, audio and freeze track, I would gladly pay. Many of us are ready to pay, but is that enough to motivate the developer?

• I don’t need those features, but like you I would gladly pay for them. Fingers crossed.
    I think the economics of the iOS music apps today make it tough for every dev, and Mr. Blip needs to take a job to take care of his family. Hopefully the situation will improve and there is one day an Authurian-like return to vanquish the missing features.