questions & suggestions

edited December 2020 in General chat

hi,

__________questions
why playing A1 in obsidian generates a 110hz (about 9ms) waveform instead of a 55hz (about 18ms) waveform?

why is the sound of a 55hz sine lfo modulating a 55hz sine osc different from the sound of a 55hz sine operator modulating a 55hz sine operator? is it because audio and modulation signals have different rate?

why using the word "frames" instead of "samples" in grid units?

__________suggestions
random modulation sources (rand1 and rand2) are both unipolar; a bipolar source would be great (eg. to better emulate pitch, cutoff and resonance analog drift)

nanosaw detune and spread are two different things (one affects pitch, the other affects stereo spread) and the graphic display should reflect that: detune could move oscillators vertically (or tilt them), while spread could move oscillators horizontally

thanks

Comments

• edited December 2020

nanosaw detune and spread are two different things (one affects pitch, the other affects stereo spread)

nope. Those parameters are actually doing EXACTLY what you see on display :-) Na osaw consists from 7 saw instances - detune affects maximal detuning of first and last wave and spread defines what is difference between individual saws - if they are more close to first and last, or they are detuned in more linear wav...

try switch filter to "stereo" mode, then set nanosaw spread to 50% and tweak slowly "spread" - you hear that just frequency changes , not stereo

On other side, in VOICE menu, unison mode "spread" affects stereo - but this is different thing, unison is applied on any type of oscillator ..

random modulation sources (rand1 and rand2) are both unipolar; a bipolar source would be great (eg. to better emulate pitch, cutoff and resonance analog drift)

you can get bipolar modulation with any type of source.. let's say you want to modulate pitch in range -12 to +12 by rand .. so set default pitch to -12 and then set rand1 modulation amount to +24 ...

• edited December 2020

why playing A1 in obsidian generates a 110hz (about 9ms) waveform instead of a 55hz (about 18ms) waveform?

there is no unified standard which wrequency should have middle .. some synths are using 262hz, other 131hz.. seco d standard is i think more common, Obsidian is using it.. but as i said, many synhs are using one, many are using other... no universal,standard defined here..

why is the sound of a 55hz sine lfo modulating a 55hz sine osc different from the sound of a 55hz sine operator modulating a 55hz sine operator? is it because audio and modulation signals have different rate?

exactly, this is part of CPU optimization(and reason why you can run many instances of Obsidian even on old devices) - control signals are runjng in significantly samller frequency than audio rate...

• edited December 2020

thanks for the info dendy

sorry for the dumb suggestion, i thought supersaw worked as in dune where spread "...allows to spread the oscillators in the stereo field"

i still think that bipolar (random) sources are better for bipolar (random) modulation (e.g. when using a unipolar source like you said, controlling mod amount with mod wheel would affect modulation asymmetrically); in omnisphere you got 4 bipolar random sources and just 1 unipolar random source, simply because the latter is less useful

in the meantime i suggest using a bipolar lfo with rate set to 0 and sync set to off, as this will generate random (truly) bipolar values

• p.s.
    why using the word "frames" instead of "samples" in grid units?

• edited December 2020

@mentoool said:
    i still think that bipolar (random) sources are better for bipolar (random) modulation (eg. when using a unipolar source like you said, controlling mod amount with a mod wheel would affect modulation asymmetrically); in omnisphere you got 4 bipolar random sources and just 1 unipolar random source, simply because the latter is less useful

It’s an extra setting but you can assign the same knob that controls the level of random lfo to the level of the value that the lfo is controlling.

So, if you have an lfo controlling cutoff and you want it to stay centred, you set the knob to LFO Level +100 and Cutoff -50.

Mod wheel is Knob 1 by default.

• extra setting = worse solution

• edited December 2020

but thanks for the "Mod wheel is Knob 1 by default" info