still waiting ((

still waiting for the audio tracks and auv3 automations (( hope it will be soon !

Comments

• edited November 2020

To be honest the longer time has moved on the more workarounds I’ve found to the point where I miss neither. Ok, AUv3 FX automation would be great but with a bit of thought I’ve not had any scenario that wasn’t achievable in the end.

With the help of 4Pocket’s Multitrack auv3 and Virsyn’s Audiolayer - plus Slate & Obsiddian’s sample functionality - I’ve been able to get away without dedicated audio tracks. That said I’m not recording live instruments/traditional bands/vocals so ymmv.

I’ve even looked at Cubasis as it has audio tracks and auv3 effects automation but ultimately have decided to stick with NS2 👍

• @TakkAtakk said:
    To be honest the longer time has moved on the more workarounds I’ve found to the point where I miss neither. Ok, AUv3 FX automation would be great but with a bit of thought I’ve not had any scenario that wasn’t achievable in the end.

With the help of 4Pocket’s Multitrack auv3 and Virsyn’s Audiolayer - plus Slate & Obsiddian’s sample functionality - I’ve been able to get away without dedicated audio tracks. That said I’m not recording live instruments/traditional bands/vocals so ymmv.

I’ve even looked at Cubasis as it has audio tracks and auv3 effects automation but ultimately have decided to stick with NS2 👍

I agree. There a couple of bugs and other shortcomings in ns2 that I would rather see addressed. I too keep looking for alternatives to ns2 but there are 2 overriding advantages to ns2 over everything else out there: the sheer efficiency of it and obsidian. What other daw running on a 2018 iPad can run 30 or 40 midi tracks without breaking a sweat? And I am laying down massive amounts of cc data in many tracks. Major use case of audio tracks in a sequencer is to freeze tracks to avoid choking. Not needed in ns2 if you stick with Obsidian and slate - which can pretty much do anything if you spend some time with it. The other feature I just can’t live without is the extremely accurate midi editing. The grab and drag methodology of most everything else often ends up with with an additional vertical move when all I want is horizontal and vice versa. Those arrows on the sides and bottom are now indispensable to my workflow. Now about those bugs and shortcomings... pretty please?

• edited November 2020

Your point about midi cc data - I’ve found I’m using Drambo more and more for creating my own effects, often replacing other AUv3 fx that I have purchased in the past in the process - I then use midi notes (mapped to midi cc’s within Drambo) to automate the parameters of these effects (by using the said mapped notes’ velocities as the cc’s values). As these automations are entered in the midi clips, this has the benefit of meaning the automation gets moved on the timeline if I decide to move a midi clip - which I find to be handier than the track automations of NS2’s (excellent) built in effects, which aren’t tied to the midi clip so have to be moved manually if required.

The reason I use AudioLayer is purely because of its sample streaming ability - otherwise I’d probably just stick with Slate and Obsidian for audio sample launching. I created a Drambo patch using FlexiSampler for when I need sample time-stretching and/or pitch-shifting within NS2 - although I always then bounce it using Multitrack and import that into Slate, Obsidian or AudioLayer for triggering the stretched sample (allowing me to save cpu by removing the Drambo instance). Yes, there are subtle artifacts added to the sound but hey! I used to use an Akai S950 way back when - artifacts were and still are good for what I want 😁👍

And you know, I have found this all to be really rewarding: creating music AND solving “puzzles” so as to be able to work around NS2’s small set of limitations!

Keep smiling and stay safe - it’s all good 👍

• @boomer said:
    I agree. There a couple of bugs and other shortcomings in ns2 that I would rather see addressed. I too keep looking for alternatives to ns2 but there are 2 overriding advantages to ns2 over everything else out there: the sheer efficiency of it and obsidian. What other daw running on a 2018 iPad can run 30 or 40 midi tracks without breaking a sweat? And I am laying down massive amounts of cc data in many tracks. Major use case of audio tracks in a sequencer is to freeze tracks to avoid choking. Not needed in ns2 if you stick with Obsidian and slate - which can pretty much do anything if you spend some time with it. The other feature I just can’t live without is the extremely accurate midi editing. The grab and drag methodology of most everything else often ends up with with an additional vertical move when all I want is horizontal and vice versa. Those arrows on the sides and bottom are now indispensable to my workflow. Now about those bugs and shortcomings... pretty please?

I feel basically the same, and agree with the two killer features: Obsidian is awesome and ultra-efficient, and MIDI editing is just better with NS2 than anything else, once you get it down. I really wish my MPC One had NS2's MIDI editing interface instead of the direct manipulation interface it has.

I'd still love audio tracks and AUv3 FX recording, but at this point I'd be happy if I could just use my iPad's keyboard to enter text in NS2 rather than poking at the screen. That little bug is so annoying to me--it's the only app I have that forces me to poke at my screen to enter text.

• @walkie said:

@boomer said:

I'd still love audio tracks and AUv3 FX recording, but at this point I'd be happy if I could just use my iPad's keyboard to enter text in NS2 rather than poking at the screen. That little bug is so annoying to me--it's the only app I have that forces me to poke at my screen to enter text.

That one is not really a bug but a (missing) feature. I’ve advocated for the system keyboard since NS1 and I still think it would be better, and come with external keyboard support built in.

• After 3 years, I’ve flipped 180 degrees on the need for audio tracks, mostly due to moving back to the MacBook for Bitwig, and using my iPads as MIDI synths for generating audio clips or as controllers (Musix, GeoShred, MIDIPads). I’d rather have tight MIDI clock sync/start/stop (without needing AB3) and proper handling of AUV3 MIDI events (without needing MIDIRoute), in other words, top-notch MIDI implementation without needing workarounds and the “band-aid” apps. I can now relate to that older thread (“The case against audio tracks..”) much better - it makes sense now. But I also understand that audio recording is paramount for some ppl. Just my $0.02....

And, +1 on using a proper keyboard for data entry (I have that Logitech slim keyboard for iPad Pro).

• +1 for AUv3 automation.
    During black Friday sales I got Cubasis 3 and discovered how easy it is there to automate AUv3 parameters, no mappings to knobs no nothing just press record and move the control inside the FX plugin or an instrument and voila the parameter is automated without any limitations.
    And audio tracks exist there mainly to free up computing power. So I am ready to forget about audio tracks in NS2 (because of it's great optimization) but please please give me AUv3 automation. It makes everything alive.

• edited December 2020

My iPad is pretty much in mouth balls now as far as music making goes until NS2 gets audio tracks. At which point I look forward to continuing most of the tracks I started. After nine years of playing around with iOS, NS2 is the only one where I was able to make tracks that I really fell in love with.

• *bump - I came here to ask for external keyboard support. I keep going to type a track name (or other) in NS2 only for nothing to happen.

I’m also holding on for audio track recording. I mean, Slate and Obsidian can already record and it be triggered (played) in the piano roll, so there’s a start already. Just need it to play from the “play head”. :) Please.