Sending MIDI notes to AU effects

edited February 2020 in Feature Requests

I’m not sure if this is a feature request or if I’m just failing to find what I’m looking for:

Is there a way to send MIDI notes to AU effects that receive them (for instance, SpaceCraft, Elsa, Tardigrain)?

Comments

• edited February 2020

Spacecraft and Tardigrain work better if you load them as instruments. But at least Turnado receives midi notes ok. I’m not entirely sure what the issue could be.

Usually midi note receiving effects are separate from the non receiving effects so you have two entries on the list for the same plugin. Spacecraft doesn’t, which suggests to me that it’s actually not meant to receive midi note input in the fx slot. Tardigrain has two, maybe the ”MFX”-receives notes?

• @Stiksi said:
    Spacecraft and Tardigrain work better if you load them as instruments. But at least Turnado receives midi notes ok. I’m not entirely sure what the issue could be.

Usually midi note receiving effects are separate from the non receiving effects so you have two entries on the list for the same plugin. Spacecraft doesn’t, which suggests to me that it’s actually not meant to receive midi note input in the fx slot. Tardigrain has two, maybe the ”MFX”-receives notes?

Thanks! It’s good to know that I can keep poking around. I prefer these apps in the effect slots for live sampling (and eventually audio in 😉).

Spacecraft seems to be an odd case: in AUM it only shows up as effect, acts as one, but also definitely receives MIDI notes. The others do show up as fx and mfx separately.

• I don’t know if this helps, but here’s a tutorial showing how to send midi notes to Turnado (and Effectrix)...

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/880/how-to-automate-turnado-in-nanostudio-2

• @Shabudua said:
    I don’t know if this helps, but here’s a tutorial showing how to send midi notes to Turnado (and Effectrix)...

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/880/how-to-automate-turnado-in-nanostudio-2

Thank you! This worked perfectly!

• Just in case someone else comes around looking for the same thing: I found that having the track with the effect (with External MIDI type) as the parent of the source audio track worked better for my workflow than using a send. When we can save and recall full tracks it'll be awesome :)